Regardless of how simple something is to use, we all need a little help sometimes. Here are some Instructions for using the Doff N’ Donner method, to help get you started. …And don’t forget to check out the videos!
YOU WILL NEED:
The DOFF N’ DONNER
(sometimes referred to as the “Donner”, or the “sleeve”)
(the stocking holder for the rolling process)
THE LOADING PROCESS
A.) Place the Cone applicator on a smooth & sturdy clean surface, like a kitchen or bathroom countertop. With one hand, push down slightly on the top of the Cone to stabilize the base. With the other hand, turn the lever from right to left, attaching the suction base to the surface.
B.) Place the compression stocking on the Cone, just like applying to a leg upside down (top goes on first). Then SMOOTH ALL wrinkles of stocking to the bottom of the Cone.
C.) Firmly pinch/grab the Doff N’ Donner (it will want to “roll” out of your hands), pick it up and place it over the top of the Cone…guiding with two hands and rolling it to the bottom of the Cone.
D.) Place your hands on each side of the Cone, and with the thumbs and 1st two fingers, grab all wrinkled fabric, pulling this excess fabric slightly OUT… and then UP, while shaking slightly to remove any wrinkles. (Your stocking is now rolling around the Doff N’ Donner.)
E.) Continue to pull the fabric up to the proper level, then stop at certain level depending on your STOCKING TYPE:
-OPEN TOE KNEE HIGH (or Arm sleeve) garments: Pull fabric 2-3 inches below top of Cone.
-CLOSED TOE KNEE HIGH, CLOSED TOE THIGH HIGH and OPEN TOE THIGH HIGH garments: Pull fabric 2-3 inches above top of Cone.
E.) Once fabric has been pulled up to the proper point for your stocking type, place both hands on each side of the Doff N’ Donner sleeve, and roll it all the way up the Cone, continuing to roll the garment off the Cone (this is easily done by using fingers to squeeze and roll at the top…do NOT pull). Once the Donner comes off the Cone, turn immediately upside down and use fingers to continue rolling fabric inside the Doff N’ Donner until the FINISH point…which depends upon whether stocking is Closed toe or Open toe (see below for two FINISH points):
CLOSED TOE ROLL FINISH: Continue rolling until the toe of the stocking creates a capped or FLAT END. (This is the end that you will point toward your toes first for stocking application, with heel facing down.)
OPEN TOE (or Arm sleeve) ROLL FINISH: Continue rolling until the toe band of the stocking is approximately 1in. to 1-1/2 in. below the top of the rolled (loaded) Doff N Donner. (This 1 in. to1-1/2 in. directly coincides with where the toe band will land below the tip of your toes upon stocking application.)
NOTE: Occasionally on a longer stocking type (thigh high or long knee high), there may be some excess fabric “protruding” on one end (this coincides with the excess fabric as the bottom of the Cone). Do not worry about this…just guide the excess over foot if it gets stuck at the toes!
THE DONNING PROCESS (Stocking Application)
- IMPORTANT: Before donning, you must identify the HEEL of your stocking, by looking for the reinforcement seam (this is not typically an issue with arm sleeves). The reinforced heel seam (heel) MUST FACE DOWN, AND IT MUST POINT AWAY FROM TOES for the Donning process! (Sometimes this requires marking with a permanent marker mark on the heel of your stocking, for easier recognition.)
- With HEEL FACING DOWN, and OPPOSITE END OF HEEL FACING TOES, use BOTH hands to ROLL (for self/patient application), or PUSH (for caregiver application) over the foot, while applying some EXTRA pressure on the TOP of the foot towards the heel, for easier application over the heel.
- After the loaded Doff N’ Donner is successfully over the heel, FINISH application by continuing to ROLL (patient application) or PUSH (caregiver application) up the leg. Once the stocking is donned, allow the empty Donner sleeve to roll down and off the leg. Adjust the top band for knee high stockings to fit comfortably 2 fingers below the bend of the knee.
- If any wrinkles remain, firmly grab the Doff N’ Donner with both hands (one on each end), and “swipe”. If heel placement needs adjustment, simply swipe heel into proper place. NO GLOVES ARE NECESSARY! In fact, the Doff N’ Donner’s tacky material (Latex-Free) is FAR superior than any gloves for wrinkle removal and proper heel placement.
THE DOFFING PROCESS (STOCKING REMOVAL)
- With both hands, ROLL the Doff N’ Donner sleeve over foot, and up to the highest comfortable point below the top of your stocking. Depending on where that comfortable point is for you, either pinch the top of the Doff N’ Donner and the top of the stocking fabric together OR pull the top of the stocking over the top of the Doff N’ Donner.
- Give a push toward the ankle. The Doff N’ Donner should roll the stocking easily down to the ankle. Then, push it off the foot (apply more pressure toward the heel for easier removal from the foot).
- To remove stocking from the Doff N’ Donner, place the Loaded Doff N’ Donner on Cone applicator (with heel side on top), and separate stocking from the Donner sleeve for washing. Otherwise leave “loaded” for next day application!
NOTE: If the stocking gets stuck inside the Doff N’ Donner at any time, please locate the toe or heel and simply pull the stocking out to release!